Engineering positions at LPA Design are the brains behind the product from development through production. LPA uses a variety of engineering types including mechanical, electrical, production and others.
The Embedded System Firmware Engineer will support the development of new wireless products within the small R&D team at LPA Design. The primary responsibility is designing and writing high quality code, with a peripheral role assisting in the design of associated hardware. The person in this position will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of emerging products.
The engineer will participate in the development of systems architecture, establish system standards for hardware / firmware platforms, and participate with a cross functional team in system implementation. The engineer is expected to participate in the conceptualization and design of solutions that meet customer needs, write clear concise code, and document / comment code as appropriate.
The engineer may act as the project manager creating work scope documents, budgets, time estimates and schedules, holding regular meetings, and communicating with OEM partners as necessary. The engineer shall follow LPA Design’s development process which includes iterative stage gate or Agile program management, as well as contribute to process improvement and streamlining. Individual may utilize and direct other resources in development of technology needed in the course of product development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute to system architecture and development of new features for embedded systems based products
• Investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative system solutions
• Utilize oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, and other test equipment in the development and debugging of designs
• Understand real time operating systems, including hardware initialization, sensor interfacing, and interacting with peripheral devices
• Apply state of the art techniques to develop firmware for low-power, battery powered systems consisting of a mixture of analog, digital and RF circuitry in highly integrated, sensor / RF embedded designs
• Create specifications and documentation, including product and software requirements (Statements Of Work), software design documentation, test plans and test reports
• Work with cross-functional product development team to develop system features
• Able to work with minimal supervision and produce deliverables on schedule
• Port existing system implementations to new hardware platforms
• Help define user interface specifications and implementations
• Work with internal resources to assist with development of fixtures and processes to test, validate, and debug microcontroller based designs
• Maintain firmware code base with appropriate source code management tools such as Subversion or Git
• Plan and execute verification and regression tests to demonstrate conformance to specifications
• Reverse engineer signaling of third party photographic products and validate LPA product functionality with same
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Minimum of Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 7 years of relevant experience
• C and possibly C++ programming in a real-time embedded environment
• Experience setting up new development environments
• Experience with ARM Cortex 32 bit microcontroller architecture
• Experience developing firmware for portable, low-power products in embedded system
• Experience writing embedded firmware in a resource-constrained architecture
• Experience defining and evaluating embedded platforms given specific high level feature requirements
• Experience testing, validating, and debugging embedded system firmware using JTAG interface
• Strong familiarity with various bus protocols and interfaces (e.g. SPI, I2C, USB, UART/RS-232)
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Experience developing wireless embedded firmware
• Experience using third-party frameworks, APIs, and DLLs
• Experience with LabView, Matlab, or similar environments
• Experience optimizing C algorithms
• Experience with wireless communication solutions such as BLE, NFC, etc.
• Ability to design for and interface with various platforms, such as PCs, tablets, smart phones, etc. for specification and implementation of user GUIs a big plus
• Familiarity interfacing with database systems
• Experience with encryption and error check / correction schemes
• Experience with Embedded Real Time Operating Systems
• Experience with C++ in embedded systems
• Experience with C++, Visual Basic, QT Creator or other application development languages a plus
• Broad understanding of software design and use / implementation of algorithms a plus
We’re requesting resume and cover letter, in addition to a short statement about relevant experience and projects worked on.
All inquires should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org